Time: 3min-5min Grind Type: Medium-Medium Fine Ratio: 1:15
In this recipe we are going to cover how to properly brew yourself a cup of Rooted Roast coffee using a Pour Over Kit.
- 4.oz (177.441 ml) of water / 0.30 oz, 1.5tbsp, 8g of coffee (Strong)
- 8.oz of water (236.588ml) / 0.46 oz, 2tbsp, 13g of coffee (medium)
- 10.oz (300 ml) of water / 0.71 oz, 2.5 heaping tbsp, 20 grams (medium)
- 16.oz of water (473.176ml) / 1.06 oz, 3.5tbsp, 30 grams (less strong)
- Begin by heating the water to just under boiling, about 206 degrees.
- Warm the pour over kit and rinse the filter with some of the warm water and then discard the used water. (optional)
- Add the filter and coffee and pour about 1/10 of the water onto the grounds and give it a light swirl or stir; let it sit for about half a minute. This is called blooming and ensures that all the grounds are wet.
- Start pouring the water in, about 1/4 at a time, making sure to pour evenly across the grounds.
- As the water gets close to the top of the grounds, pour the next 1/4 in. Continue this until all the water has been used.
- This process should take between 3-5 minutes and once done, discard the used grounds and enjoy the coffee!
Pre-rinse your filter with warm water to wash away any paper flavor that your coffee may pick up. This also doubles to warm your brewing vessel and mug so your coffee stays warmer longer.
If you are using a reusable filter, it may be best to grind slightly finer.